A Brief History of Glenrothes Baptist Church
The first service of what was to become Glenrothes Baptist Church was held on 15 April, 1956, as a result of the vision of the minister (Rev. J Norman MacDonald) and members of Leslie Baptist Church. The Church was formally constituted on 25 August 1957, and one of the founder members, Mr Sam Stevenson, is still in membership.
Rev Alexander Wright was inducted as the first minister on 5 January, 1958, his congregation consisting of 24 members including his wife. The ministry was sustained with much financial help from the Fife Baptist Association, and particularly Whytescauseway Baptist Church in Kirkcaldy, before assistance was forthcoming from the Baptist Union of Scotland early in 1959. Again with help from the Union and local churches, a new building was opened at Ninian Quadrant on 23 April 1960, at which time there were 57 members. Within 20 years, these premises were proving inadequate for the growing congregation, and the various organizations and thriving youth work which had been established and built up during Mr Wright’s ministry, and – with the facilitation of the Development Corporation and the Baptist Union - the building was ‘swapped’ with that of the Episcopal Church in 1979. Alex Wright retired in April 1992 after 34 years of ministry in the Church (he and his wife Lottie are still members); membership stood at 141 at this time.
Rev. Neil Allison
On 21 August 1993 a new era began when Rev Neil Allison was inducted as the Church’s second pastor, to his first charge.Under Neil’s ministry a new Constitution was approved, including a Statement of Faith and the introduction of elders (male) as distinct from deacons (male and female) to the church leadership, the previous ‘deacons’ (male) having performed both functions. Neil Allison resigned in April 1998 to become a full-time Army Chaplain. The membership had increased significantly during his ministry, reaching over 170. Neil just earned his phD and is currently finishing his tour as an army chaplain.
Rev. Archy Macmillan was inducted as pastor on 18 September 1999, following a unanimous recommendation from the Vacancy Committee. Archy was a faithful expositor of God's Word and shepherd of the flock. Archy's time saw many grounded in the Word of God. He retired at the end of May 2010 and remains faithfully preaching and teaching God's Word in different churches and contexts throughout the country. Archy & his wife Liz remain as members of GBC.
Rev. Jacob Brothers
Through a series of events showing the Lord's sovereign hand at work, Rev. Jacob Brothers came from Kentucky to serve as our current pastor. Following a unanimous recommendation from the Vacancy Committee, and an overwhelming positive reception by the church, Jacob and his young family moved to Glenrothes to be part of our family. He was inducted as Pastor in March, 2011. You can learn more about Jacob under the "Our Team" page. You can also follow his blog or facebook. Jacob's passion is to see the church solidly centered upon the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Word of God, and the great commission. His desire is to see every Christian as a witness right where they are.
Rev. Matthew Marshall
On 22nd August 2015, Rev. Matthew Marshall was not only ordained as a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but also inducted as a minister of Glenrothes Baptist church, he also became the first assistant pastor in the histroy of GBC. The need for such a position comes in light of the joyful fact that we are a growing and thriving commuinity of followers of Jesus. Matthews main passion and remit is to see the church grow in missions and discipleship together, as we seek to engage Glenrothes, Scotland and the world with the Gospel as we fulfill the Great Commision.